Pages

Monday 7 March 2016

Burning Magnessium

Aim
I want to find out what happens when I burn Magnesium

Hypothesis
I  predict that the Magnesium i will give off blue and white flames.

Equipment
Bunsen Burner
Heat Mat
Magnesium
Scissor Tongs
Safety Glasses

Method

  1. Get your equipment.
  2. Light the Bunsen burner.
  3. Hold the magnesium in the blue flame with the scissor tongs.

Result
When I burned the solid grey Magnesium I saw flames, light, a white spark.

Discussion
Why did the Magnesium glow brightly?
The Magnesium reacts with Oxygen to make Magnesium Oxide.

Conclusion
My hypothesis was that it will have blue flames. I was incorrect. It actually glowed into a whitish color.

Evaluation
Other experiments related to this I could do are:

* Do all metals glow brightly?
*How hot burn the Magnesium get to before it reacted?
*Why did it have a white light and not blue or green?
*Did it make any other chemicals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.